Tuesday, March 19, 2013

X Marks the Spot


I will venture upon new territory.  When I try to write in a new genre, I feel like I am a treasure hunter.  I peruse the authors that write it and write it well.  I peruse the authors that write it badly.  I look under covers, in between books at the library, in between the lines of a particularly vivacious scene, I look at it all.  This April, I will be venturing upon new territory: romance. *deflated fanfare*

I used to look at the genre with distaste.  It had its audience (and a loyal audience at that), but I wasn't a part of it.  I kept my distance and chuckled as I passed by it.  However, writers have to be adventurous and as far as adventure goes..., what is more adventurous than new territory?  So, I am committing the month of April (and this upcoming session of Camp NaNoWriMo) to writing a romance novel, of sorts.

Of course, with all that in mind, April is only 13 days away..., and that's counting today.  I feel as though I can't stuff enough research and planning into those 312 hours.  In all honesty, I have never read any *real* romance and I feel like I've jumped into the middle of the Pacific Ocean by taking on this endeavor.  It's a scary thought, knowing that the islands that are there to rescue me are labeled "Fifty Shades of Grey" and "Savage Dreams."*





I've said it before and I'll say it again: For me, NaNo is about pushing myself.  And that is what I intend to do.  My goal for Camp NaNo isn't just to write a romance novel but to reinvent the genre in my eyes.  Oh, and write a good book.  That's pretty important as well.  Now, to find some *good* research material...


*Of course, I've never read them so in all reality, they could be marvelous pieces of literature that should be cherished for all time...and I wouldn't know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment