Saturday, April 6, 2013

Oh shnap, someone's getting serious about her work...

Yep, I made deadline charts and everything...


Talking to fellow writers always gets my motivation up.  Thanks to Devon (*hugs*) for really getting me going during our Skype chat last night.  Camp NaNo will run this July as well (my birthday month!) and I'm pondering the thought of possibly being a rebel that month (or even this month).  While my current story is still new and fresh (I'm only 10k in right now), I'm not used to this genre and, honestly, I'm not sure if I like it very much.  I almost prefer the snappy, fast action and wit of a thriller, suspense, and/or horror story.  I love to read and watch a good story with a happy ending (like The Princess Bride and Stardust), I just don't think that I'm good at writing happy ending stories...

I am glad that I came to this conclusion during the first week of camp.  While, I may not be able to finish this story currently, I am hoping to return to it one day.  I think it's a solid piece.  I just don't think that I'm ready for it yet.  So here's the question: if I switch gears but continue to write toward a 50k goal (like, perhaps a string of short stories for an April 30th deadline), will my previous 10k count toward that 50k goal?  I am still writing, in fact.

Well, either way, I've made myself a submission tracker.  I love duotrope.com but sometimes, physically picking up a pen and writing things down on paper...then looking at them all laid out in front of me...it helps me remember deadlines better.  How do you follow deadlines?

No comments:

Post a Comment