Friday, July 13, 2012

A Space Dedicated

I like to write everywhere.  Different places inspire me in different ways and hold varying degrees of my attention.  When I was in college my favorite places were on the bus ride to campus and the campus library.  I would be bombarded with ideas and information on the bus.  When I arrived at the library, it was calm and serene (as I was always the first one there) and I was able to compile all of the information in some sort of organized way.

Anymore, I like to have a space at home, dedicated to penning my genius down on paper.  I've read a variety of different topics and texts on such topics as fung shui to prose about writing, creativity, imagination, etc.  You name it, I read it and they all say the same thing: find what works for you.

For example, I like to sit in a nice sturdy chair at a desk or table.  If I sit on a couch or lounge somewhere else, my mind has a tendency to wander.  When I'm brainstorming, I like to walk around, so my space needs to have room for that.  I research a lot, which means that I spend a lot of time on the internet - which is bad.  So if I have an extended encyclopedia in my office, I can turn to that first and (hopefully) cut my internet time in half.

I like the color blue.  I surround myself with Sharpie pens and Composition books even though I mostly use my laptop.

Mostly, I like books.  I love books.  I love to surround myself with books.  I love to swim in the pages (mostly because I can't actually swim in water).  I love to hug them and squeeze them.  I love the texture of the paper in between my fingers.  So my writing haven is filled to the brim with as many as I can have.

My writing station is my home base.  After a day at the local cafe (or where ever), I come home and write and compile in my sancuary.

No comments:

Post a Comment